Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 September 2010

Thumbs up for Safer Milton Keynes


This crime map is part of the Safer Milton Keynes website. It is the best I have seen of the UK type of crime map. It uses Ordinance Survey rather than Google Maps. What I like about it is the way it has good background information about data sources, limitations of the data and the analysis. It integrates council antisocial behaviour with police crime (from the crime reporting system I am assuming).

There are a number of non-standard features about this map though. It is based on Milton Keynes Neighbourhoods and Estates, which as far as I can make out are definitely not co-terminus with Lower Super Output Areas and perhaps not Wards, if grouped; the crime categories are not totally the same as Home Office ones; and I suspect the anti-social behavior categories are also devised locally. I am not going to be critical of this because the categorisations seem better to me and more understandable to the public.

I wonder if they are considering including police incident data.

No comments:

Post a Comment