Search This Blog

Thursday 19 August 2010

Good & not so good Crime/Policing mapping sites 1 - MyNeighbourhoodupdate.net


I try to keep up to date with what is out there on the Internet relating to crime/police mapping so I thought I would start a series of what I think is good and not so good. Please feel free to comment (in English) and perhaps even suggest appropriate sights for me to look at, the newer the better.

The first site appears relatively new and approaches what I see as second generation crime mapping. To put it simply first generation by my definition maps the location and times of crimes to a varying degree of accuracy and comprehensiveness. Second generation crime maps should focus much more on police activity  tackling the policing problems within neighbourhoods with the purpose of addressing communication, reassurance, crime prevention, confidence, performance and funding issues. Second generation crime maps are therefore "Policing Maps" for the public.

I give Myneighbourhoodupdate.net a big thumbs up because it uses police incident data to map police activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment