Search This Blog

Friday 14 May 2010

London Domestic Burglaries

London showing Lower Super Output Area
Multiple Deprivation Scores using Standard Deviation


Firstly let me apologise for not updating this blog for a few weeks. A combination of factors have conspired to this happening not least of which ironically is having too much to write about. But anyway continuing on my train of thought where I left off. What is the relationship between deprivation and crime? Today I look at burglaries in people's home. A distressing crime and one that is a high priority to police and rightly so. And one which my analysis on fear of crime suggests is significant in people's perception of the police.

I downloaded this dataset of police recorded domestic burglaries because a colleague is studying house prices in London and wondered whether burglaries had an affect. I have approached it from a slightly different angle and looked at the correlation between deprivation and burglary. The statistics say no correlation when the two sets of figures are compared but I think when these map are studied interesting potential negative and positive correlations can be glimpsed that are perhaps cancelling each other out.


London showing numbers of  police recorded Domestic Burglaries in 2009
 at Lower Super Output Level using Standard Deviation

There appears to be less deprivation and fewer police recorded burglaries in outer London especially towards the south west pointing to a positive correlation.
Inner London showing numbers of police recorded Domestic Burglaries in 2009
at Lower Super Output Level using Standard Deviation

Inner London showing Lower Super Output Area
Multiple Deprivation Scores using Standard Deviation

Whereas Inner London hints at having a negative correlation especially in the boroughs of Islington, Hackney and  Tower Hamlets. I will discuss the reasons for this in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment