Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 November 2013

The Golden Thread of Policing is Geographical

"The ‘golden thread’ running through our analysis and proposals is that the local policing
area is the core unit, and building block, of fair and effective policing."
 
This  to me is the defining statement of the Lord Stevens lead report entitled "Policing for a Better Britain" (publish yesterday) and one which I totalling agree with.
 
I served on five Commissioners in my 30 years in the MPS. Stevens was head and shoulders both physically and in policing terms above the others. So anything he is involved in I take seriously, though the conclusions of the Diana Death and Northern Ireland Enquiry I do not necessarily agree with. But in this one there are no establishment to protection issues which to me cloud matters in the other enquiries.
 
I will read this with interest as my recent research has primarily been on the performance and accountability of this core unit of policing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment